The Fort Vermilion Community Library was started in the 1930's by Jessie Slade McGrew, as a traveling library. Since modern technology was not here then the goal was to bring reading material to the people of the north, as they were isolated during spring break-up and fall freezing of the Peace river. Then, for a while, the library was housed in a resident’s basement. When the Centennial building was built, the library was moved into there and remained there until 1993 when a new building was erected to accommodate the Library plus a rental space, which is currently occupied by Fort Vermilion Support Services. The collection has grown to over 20,000 items and technology has caught up to us as we are automated and have computers for public use, including Wi-Fi. We offer services such as printing, copying, faxing, scanning and laminating. There is a conference room available for renting, with video conference accessibility.
Library membership provides access to borrowing library materials from the local library as well as other libraries within the system. Fort Vermilion Community Library is funded by Mackenzie County.