Fort Vermilion is a Hamlet located approximately 78 km southeast of High Level. It is the oldest settlement in Alberta and was established in 1788 as a post for the North West Company located on the banks of the Mighty Peace River.
The name Vermilion comes from the red ochre deposits along the riverbanks in the area. Cree and Beaver Indians were the first to inhabit the area and was a meeting place for northern natives. The fur traders came and shortly after in 1788. The Fort Vermilion trading post was established at Boyer's Post 5 miles downstream. In 1821, Fort Vermilion was taken over by the Hudson's Bay company and about 10 years later, the post was moved to the present location of Fort Vermilion.